Thursday, June 25, 2009

The Life & Death of Michael Jackson


Unfortunately, today we are having to mourn the loss of one of the greatest men in the entertainment industry, Michael Jackson. It doesn't matter what country you grew up in, if you grew up in the 80s or before, Michael probably played a big part in your music library. I don't know of any other artist that has affected so many cultures as much as Michael did. That man's music and dancing was absolutely timeless and will NEVER be forgotten.

We all have many stories of how he has affected each of our lives . . . I mean come on Thriller alone takes the cake. Who would've ever imagined that a song about zombies, released in 1983, would still be just as popular in 2009. That's just one of the songs, there are tons more. All of his music was wonderful. Just the other day I was talking to a friend about which song of Michael's was my favorite. I would name one, then he would name one, and I'd say, "oh, I love that song too." I don't know that I have a favorite song because so many of his songs I could listen to over and over again on loop. Even now, trying to go through my iTunes MJ list, and I can't decide what song to listen to to help inspire me while writing this post.

Each time I think that the news of his passing has sunken in, I go through another moment of disbelief. I'm in complete and utter shock over this. Of course I didn't know him personally, so part of me thinks I shouldn't be this distraut over his death. Then on the other hand, I'm thinking that in a way I did know him personally, he just didn't know me. For the past 29 years, I've known nothing other than a world with Michael Jackson and his music in it. Some of my first memories are of me staying up late to watch Thriller on TV. I was about 3 years old, sitting on the floor infront of our boob tube, singing along. Then I'd go to bed and have nightmares (haha), but I'd be there again the very next night. Now, I'm 29, and when I hear/watch Thriller I still sing and I still dance (every single time), the only change is I don't have nightmares after.

As I said before, we all have our own stories/memories of how Michael's artistry touched our lives. I'd love to hear some of your stories, so please leave comments and tell me about your special memories.

No comments: